Spring BBQ Spread: Menu Ideas for Heading Back into BBQ SeasonApr 14, 2022
Over the last few weekends, we’ve seen nicer and nicer weather creeping up on us. Granted, my standards are pretty low in the Spring for what is considered to be “nice”, but as soon as the snow starts to melt, I immediately start to plan for barbeques. I have no problem firing up the grill even when the weather is still a little nippy out. Two weekends ago we had family over, it began to snow a bit, and we still kept our barbeque plan alive and kicking.
I know I’m definitely a bit over-zealous when it comes to the nicer weather, but this is a great time to start refreshing your recipes and menu options too. Using a barbeque can create really unique flavours in your dishes by adding that great charred or grilled taste to a dish. I love integrating components or even full meals cooked on a grill. Not to mention, it’s easy to clean up since you only have one cooking surface to deal with.
If you’re anything like me and Spring screams barbeque to you, here are a few menu ideas that are quick, delicious and are sure to impress your guests!
1. Mediterranean Vegetarian Feast
- Grilled Asparagus
- Zucchini, mushroom & tofu skewers
- Optional side dish: Greek salad
- In a large bowl combine the juice of 1 lemon, 2 tbs of olive oil, 1 tsp of each salt, pepper, garlic powder, black pepper & oregano
- Cut your zucchini into ½ inch think rounds, then into halves.
- Cut your mushrooms in half
- Press the liquid out of your tofu & then cut in ½ cubes
- Toss the vegetables into the sauce mixture until everything is well coated, then skewer your vegetables and tofu
- Season your asparagus with 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tsp each salt, pepper & garlic powder
- Add your skewers to the grill and cook for 5 minutes.
- Rotate your skewers and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add your asparagus to the grill and rotate your skewers again. Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Rotate everything and then finish cooking for another 5-7 minutes.
- Serve with some extra lemon wedges, pita, tzatziki and enjoy!
2. Seaside Feast
- Grilled corn
- Grilled Salmon or Cod with grilled shrimp
- Foil roasted potatoes
- Shuck your corn on the cob then toss in olive oil and salt
- Drizzle your fish & shrimp with 1-tsp of olive oil until everything is nicely covered.
- Season your seafood with 1 tsp of each salt, pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika and onion powder. Add ½ tsp chili powder for some heat.
- Slice 10-15 mini potatoes in half. Take a large piece of tin foil and place your potatoes in the center. Drizzle with 2 tsp olive oil & season with 1 tsp of each salt, pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika and onion powder. Add ½ tsp chili powder for some heat.
- Close the tin foil around your potatoes until they are in a tin foil ‘packet’. Place the packed onto the preheated grill and let cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Add your fish onto the grill, cook for 10 minutes, then add your corn to the grill.
- Continue to cook everything for another 5-10 minutes, rotating your corn every 2-3 minutes to avoid burning.
- Be careful when opening your potato packet! The heat will be trapped inside the tin foil, and it will release steam when you open it. Check to ensure potatoes are at the readiness you like before removing from the grill.
3. Winner, winner, chicken dinner
- Caprese chicken
- Grilled broccolini
- Pat dry 4-6 boneless chicken breasts
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tbsp olive oil and 1 tsp of each salt, pepper, garlic powder, dried basil & dried oregano
- Generously season your chicken breasts then place on the grill. Cook for 7 minutes then flip and cook another 7 minutes
- While the chicken is cooking, season your broccolini with olive oil, salt, pepper & garlic powder. Add to the grill and cook for 8-12 minutes until the ends of the broccolini are a bit charred
- Top each piece of chicken with a slice or 2 of tomato. You want to make sure the tomato covers to top surface of the chicken
- Add a piece of mozzarella cheese on top of the tomato. Make sure the tomatoes are fully covered with the cheese
- Close the grill and let cook until the cheese is melted
- Once the cheese is melted, you can add some additional warm tomato sauce, or serve as is. These are great on their own or on a bed of fresh pasta.
Article by: @michlwellness
Michelle Levine | Personal Trainer & Group Fitness Instructor, Holistic Health & Wellness Coach
Level up your health to level up your life! Welcome to the 90 Day HIH Coaching Program
Welcome to the Healthy is Hot Coaching Program.
This is a holistic health coaching program designed by Healthy is Hot founder and certified Health & Life Coach Chloe Wilde to help ambitious, driven and goal-oriented powerhouse women, re-prioritize their health.
The Healthy is Hot coaching program will help you build the habits that lead to a long-term lifestyle change so you can perform where you play.
Want to learn more or join the program? Click below.